Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Day My Heart Almost Broke!

Before I get into this, let me say that Quinn is OK!

He is home and he is ok!

Ok now that it has been said....

Thursday night we were watching a movie. Everyone in the family room.

Quinn was shimmying around the coffee table, when he fell.

I could not see him under the table. But I heard a little cry. Then nothing. Then a thump. He was laying on the floor.

James asked Kaili to get him. She tried picking him up, but couldn't. She was laughing because she thought he was playing around.

Then, I heard. "Kaili it is NOT funny. PICK HIM UP!" That is when my mommy alarms went off! I knew something was wrong. I was getting up as James picked up Quinn. I saw Quinn was limp. But eyes open. I said. What's wrong. James said I do not know.

I took Quinn from him. Looked at him.

Shallowed breathing.

Eyes rolling up to the back of his head.

Pupils fully dilated.

Not aware. At all. He would not react to my voice. Oh my God! My Baby!!

I looked at James and told him to call 911 now!

The paramedics took forever to get there. The 911 operator was telling us to stay calm. That they were on their way! Stay calm? My baby was hurt. I was freaking out!

Paramedics got there. Still unresponsive.

I hear them talking. Concussion. Bleeding into the brain. Heard them say that he needs to be airlifted to Inova in Virginia.

This is bad!

Twins are crying. James is of course upset. Things are falling apart.

I do not know what to do. My baby. My little baby boy. It is serious.

I grab my purse and say ok I am going with him

They tell me I cannot ride in the helicopter.

They put on a back board and neck brace. They take him. I am trying to gather items for Quinn in a bag. While trying to calm everyone down and reassure them (and me) that he will be ok. Praying in between.

I have to go alone. James had knee surgery not even a week ago. And someone has to stay home with the twins.

I drive the 90 minutes to the hospital. Knowing my little boy is there alone. My heart is in my throat.

I get there and the doctors are waiting. They have the results from the x-rays, MRI and CAT scan. Everything is ok. He is fine. No brain swelling. No bleeding into the brain.

That is when I lose it. My baby is ok and now it is ok to lose it. So, I let it all go.

They take me to him. He is in a neck brace with all kinds of wires on him. They had just taken out the breathing tube (thank goodness I missed that. Not sure how I would have handled seeing him like that)

He is still coming out of sedation. Still groggy. But I say his name. He lifts his hand and grabs my finger. My heart melts. My baby boy is going to be ok.

We stayed overnight for observation and we got home Friday afternoon. The twins are so happy to see their brother. Daddy is relieved.

It was a rough 24 hours. But it is ok. My little boy is healthy and he acts like nothing happened.

Life is good. And back to normal.

Mommy, on the other hand, is a little on edge. Every time he gets near anything with edges I get ancy (which is all the time). He has no idea what happened. And try telling a 12 month old he needs to just sit in one place and stay put. Not going to happen!

He bumped his head this morning and I just about jumped out of my skin. He seems ok, just going to keep my eye on him.

So, I am going to spend some cuddle time with my little boy. I may be MIA for a few days.

Just wanted to let you know why. Have a great weekend.


Jennie said...

Huge hugs to you, Kathleen! I'm sorry for what you went through, but, praise the Lord, he is okay.

tania said...

OMG, kathleen. i'm sitting here sobbing for you. i'm SO sorry. thank God is okay. wow. you need some calgon. pronto.

dawn said...

How scary! So happy everythimg is alright!!

Stacey said...

OMG Dawn, that is so scary. Thank god everything is ok, you are stronger than you think! said...


I just found your blog by accident and read about your little boy. I am SO happy for you and your family that he is ok. Jeeze, I don't even know you and I am on the verge of bawling because I have an 11 month old boy and can NOT imagine what you must have gone through on that 90 minute ride to the hospital. I would wish that on NO one.

Again, so glad to hear everyone is ok. Hopefully that will be his one and only ER visit EVER!